Back to List

City of Anderson

The City of Anderson is located in the northwest corner of the state of South Carolina on the Piedmont Plateau. It is the county seat located in the geographical center of the county and principal city in Anderson County. Anderson is a major contributor to the success of the upstate. Anderson offers all of the basics upon which to build a thriving economy, including affordable land, a good transportation system, infrastructure, and a large number of recreational amenities. In June 2000, Anderson County was one of only ten communities to be designated an All-America City by the National Civic League. The Anderson community offers the feel of small-town living with the attractions and business opportunities of larger cities only a short drive away.

Form of Government:
The City is governed by a Council-Manager form of government. The Council is composed of a Mayor and eight Council members. The Council appoints a City Manager who serves as the chief executive officer of the City and is responsible to the Council for proper administration of all affairs of the City.

History:
Anderson was named for General Robert Anderson, a Revolutionary War hero who was born in 1741 in August County, Va. He came to South Carolina to help his good friend, Andrew Pickens,in surveying some land that had been given to the English Colony by the Indians. The City was founded in December 1826 and incorporated by an act of Legislature, December 19, 1833. Anderson was the first city in the south to have an unlimited supply of electric power. The first cotton gin in the world to be operated by electricity was in Anderson County in 1897.

Contact:
Mayor Terence Roberts
401 S. Main Street
Anderson, SC 29624
Phone: 864-231-2200
Email: troberts@cityofandersonsc.com
Web: www.cityofandersonsc.com
Ask Us a Question
Contact Info
124 Verdae Boulevard, Suite 202, Greenville SC 29607
864.283.2300